ECON 2491W – optional added component
Academic internships (when the student earns credit while interning) have specific guidelines and requirements as described below. This work/learning arrangement is overseen by the Economics Department Faculty who is the Internship Instructor and by a designated employee of an organization. The Internship Instructor determines if the site meets academic requirements regarding terms and conditions for assignments, internship tasks, work hours and possible compensation. An integral component of the experience that distinguishes it from other types of work is one or more forms of structured and deliberate reflection contained within learning agendas or objectives.
The ECON Department Internship Program is NOT a placement program. For help in searching for internship opportunities, we highly recommend using the Center for Career Development.
For questions, contact the Internship Instructor at your campus.
ECON 2481 001 ECON 2481 Z81
Credits and Tuition
1 credit = 42 hours of internship work
Students can earn 1-6 credits per semester. Credits are based on hours worked.
Students can do more than one internship for credit.
Up to 15 credits total can count towards your bachelors degree.
Credits will apply towards elective credits and can count towards the 45 credit rule. They cannot count towards the ECON major credits.
Credits must be earned during the semester in which the internship takes place. University policy does not allow for credits to be earned retroactively.
- Credit internships during the Spring and Fall semester are included in the tuition for the semester.
- Extra tuition and fees are associated for summer and winter intersession academic internships.
All paperwork must be submitted to the Internship Instructor by the add deadlines as listed below:
- Up through the Add/Drop deadline – you can add the Internship Course ECON 2481 via Studentadmin using a Permission Number issued by the Internship Instructor.
- After the Add/Drop period of the semester – you are expected to add the Internship course by the add deadline listed above. If for some reason you were unable to add the internship by that time, in some cases you may be approved to add the Internship Course ECON 2481 using a Student Enrollment Request Form approved by the Internship Instructor and ECON Academic Advisor and Department Head.
- Once class enrollment begins for following semester – You may NOT add an internship course for the current semester once enrollment begins for courses for the following semester. Please check dates on the Registrar’s Academic Calendar
Students enrolling in ECON 2481 have the option to add the 1 credit ECON 2491W class. This course fulfills the ECON W requirement. If you would like to add the ECON 2491W option, please indicate this on the ECON 2481 Request form. Students selecting this component will be issued a separate permission number to enroll in the section with the corresponding instructor.
1. Do you qualify? To be eligible for a credit internship, students must have completed at least one 2000-level economics course and either have completed or be taking concurrently at least two other 2000-level economics courses (students do not have to be an economics major); and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.25 or a minimum of 2.5 in 2000-level economics courses.
2. Find an internship: ECON 2481 is not a placement program. It is the students’ responsibility to find and secure an internship that incorporates economics. Use the Center for Career Development at UConn as a great resource for students who seek guidance on this process.
3. Submit online Credit Internship Application: After an internship is secured, the student must complete and submit the online Internship Application to request credit for ECON 2481, Internship Field Study.
4. Receive, complete and submit Learning Agreement: The student will receive an email from the Internship Instructor regarding the status of his/her application. If the student’s internship application is approved, the Internship Instructor will email the Internship Learning Agreement, which must be completed with the signature of the field supervisor and submitted prior to the deadline to enroll in ECON 2481, Internship Field Study.
5. Receive permission number to enroll in ECON 2481: the Internship Instructor will administer a permission number via email which allows the student to enroll in ECON 2481, Internship Field Study, after he has received the completed Internship Learning Agreement. He will note how many credits the student can earn through the internship opportunity. 42 hours of internship work equates to 1 credit. Students can earn a max of 6 credits per semester, with a total of 15 internship credits in their bachelors degree. The student must indicate the number of credits when enrolling in ECON 2481 in Studentadmin. Summer session tuition will depend on the number of credits enrolled. If the student requests to add the 1 credit ECON 2491W course, a second permission number will be issued by the Internship Instructor to enroll in the corresponding course.
6. Course Requirements: The student must complete course requirements in HuskyCT. More information will be emailed to you by the Internship Instructor at the time of registration.
7. Receive grade of S/U. The Student will be graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis for ECON 2481. The S/U credits cannot count towards the 24 credits required for a major in economics, but will count towards the 120 credits required for graduation (elective credits). If any required aspects of this process are not completed by the student, he/she could earn a U for ECON 2481.