The Department of Economics strives to reward those students who excel in the study of economics, and who carry this excellence through to their other studies and extra-curricular activities. Therefore, several awards are available for economics majors. The specific criteria for each were determined by those who established the award and funded the endowment.
Students do not need to apply for a specific award. Submit a general application below and you will be considered for any awards for which you are eligible. The Undergraduate Affairs Committee will evaluate all applications and select the recipients in the spring of each year.
2023 award applications are now closed. Awardees will be notified once determined.
Winners will be notified by mid-March and invited to the Economics Department Annual Spring Awards Banquet. The banquet will be held Thursday, April 13th. Each award winner will be invited to bring two guests of their choice.
- Rockwood Q.P. Chin Scholarship: This award of approximately $400 is bestowed on an outstanding junior or senior economics major who has demonstrated a special interest and ability in the field of international economics.
- Paul N. Taylor Memorial Prize: This award is bestowed on a deserving economics major with preference given to a person having demonstrated an interest in outdoor activities and/or athletic endeavors. Award amounts vary.
- Louis D. Traurig Scholarships: This award is given each year to an outstanding economics major. As stipulated by the donor, some preference may be given to students from the Waterbury area, but all qualified students are encouraged to apply. Award amounts vary.
- Albert E. Waugh Scholarship: This award is bestowed on an economics undergraduate or graduate student intending to teach college economics. Award amounts vary.
- Kathryn A. Cassidy Scholarship: This award is bestowed on a full-time, undergraduate with demonstrated academic achievement and financial need in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Award amounts vary.
- Julia and Harold Fenton and Yolanda and Augustine Sineti Scholarship: This award is bestowed on a full-time junior economics major demonstrating academic achievement and interest in pursuing graduate school studies. As stipulated by the donor, priority will be given to students who demonstrate significant participation in community service activities and demonstrate financial need. $1,000.00 scholarship given to one student.
- Charles Triano Scholarship: This award is bestowed on a full-time, incoming or continuing undergraduate economics major with financial need. As stipulated by the donor, priority will be given to student who demonstrate academic improvement. Award amounts vary.
- Dr. Joseph W. McAnneny, Jr. Scholarship: This award is given to undergraduate junior or senior students majoring in Economics who demonstrate financial need and are meritorious. Award amounts vary.
- Robert J. Monte Scholarship: This award is given to an undergraduate student majoring in Economics with demonstrated financial need and is a resident of the State of Connecticut. Award amounts vary.
- Ross Mayer Scholarship in Economics: This award is bestowed on a full-time, undergraduate economics major demonstrating academic achievement and financial need. $5,000.00 scholarship given to one student.
- Economics Department General Award: This award is given to a deserving student based on a number of factors including but not limited to financial need and academic achievement. Award amounts vary.
All applications must be fully completed and include the following in order to be considered:
– a personal statement
– an unofficial transcript (Instructions for locating your unofficial transcript can be found here.)
– a résumé
– a letter of recommendation from a faculty member.
The faculty recommender may submit an online recommendation form here.
All other documents should be uploaded to the online application.
The deadline to apply for 2023 has now passed. Please apply next year.