Transfer Credit

AP Credit

Students that earned a 4 or 5 on their AP Microeconomics and/or Macroeconomics exam will receive ECON 1201 and/or ECON 1202 credit.

For more information about transferring credits, click here.

Education Abroad

Though education abroad (formerly study abroad) credit is resident credit, the course accreditation process is very similar to the equivalency evaluation process for transfer credit. Students are highly encouraged to participate in education abroad. The courses taken abroad can count toward the major requirements for a degree in economics. You may have an education abroad course evaluated for UConn ECON credit by contacting Prof. Dick Langlois; you will need to submit syllabus with your request. Please refer to Education Abroad for more information about getting academic credit while abroad.

Incoming Transfer Credit

Any courses taken at a campus not affiliated with UConn is considered “transfer” credit

Types of Credit

All credit from other institutions must be given a UConn catalog number. When an eligible course is initially transferred to UConn, transfer admissions will consult it’s growing database of transfer courses and give it a UConn equivalent:

  • Direct equivalency (e.g., ECON 1201, Principles of Microeconomics). For the most part, these courses can be used to fulfill requirements just like any course taken at UConn. Discuss 2000-level or above transfer credits to count towards economics major requirements with your advisor.  Three transfer credits are allowed for the economics minor.
  • Generic credit (e.g., ECON 91000, ECON 1000 Level). These courses sometimes fulfill requirements like general education, relateds, and prerequisites, and they will count as electives toward the minimum number of credits needed for graduation. Generic credit at the 2000-level or above can also be used toward the 45 credit rule.

The Office of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions has a list of transfer credit equivalencies from Connecticut institutions. Courses not on the list have likely not been evaluated yet and will be evaluated upon transfer. All courses not on the list, including out-of-state courses can be evaluated with the prior course approval form in the Student Administration System [View Tutorial].

Courses that have never been evaluated before are given generic UConn equivalent based on the departments and courses we have at UConn.


Student may opt to have courses given generic credit reevaluated for direct equivalency. Each department has an evaluator that determines if the course in question is directly equivalent to a course we offer at UConn. Upon evaluation, the course may remain a generic or be given direct equivalency. If a course remains generic credit it is usually because (a) we don’t offer any course like it here, or (b) the course is not taught at the same rigor as it is comparable course at UConn (e.g. too few exams). Remember, the evaluation is only of course content; the prestige of the institution, program, or instructor does not play any role.

For reevaluation of ECON transfer courses, contact Prof. Dick Langlois; submission of a syllabus is required.

Transferring Credit from UConn

Transferring credit between institutions often requires a course syllabus. The Department provides a list of sample syllabi.  If a specific syllabus is needed and not on the current sample syllabi list, the instructor of the course will need to be contacted for the request.

Students seeking a course syllabus need to contact the instructor of the course:

  • Course numbers and titles can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
  • Instructors currently teaching the course can be found by conducting a Class Search. The Class Search page can be found by navigating to the Student Administration System (i.e., PeopleSoft) login page, clicking “Welcome Guests” in the upper right corner, and clicking the left “Search for a Class” option.

Contact information for instructors can be found in the UConn Phonebook. Additional contact information for faculty instructors is available on the Faculty contact page.